Monday 12 December 2011

A take on my old school

“When I got back home in my demob suit, Colin made me get rid of my pets as a punishment. I was only allowed to keep one gerbil. I swallowed this predictable piece of petty cruelty down into the ol’ hate factory. Somehow those boffins at Hockerill, who I’d so fastidiously despised, had managed to give me quite a good education. I suppose I was trapped there and forced to learn. From then on, I could define myself as being cleverer than everyone else. When I went back to Grey’s school - which was just the normal comprehensive which most of the kids I’d known at primary school had gone to - no one seemed to know what the fuck was going on with anything. I thought: “Hang on, these people are idiots.” And this instinctive humility would stand me in good stead throughout the years of academic underachievement that streched ahead of me.”

- from Russel Brand’s autobiography “My Booky Wook”

No comments:

Post a Comment